Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Rest In Peace, Sweet Casey

Casey

The last few days have been filled with worry, hope, and despair.  Our sweet pup Casey passed away yesterday, and a piece of me died with her. 

On Sunday we went to the L.A. county fair with Renee and Ryan before they had to head home to Virginia.  We got home around 1am.  At that time, Casey and Gwen were their normal bouncy selves.  They were fighting to get in the door.  They ran straight to their beds and went to sleep.  We went to bed shortly after.

At 3:45 Stephen was woken up by Casey panting and breathing heavily.  We got up to check on her and it was obvious that something was very wrong.  She was very stiff and had a hard time walking.  She was struggling to breathe and her face was very swollen.

Stephen got dressed and rushed her to the emergency vet.  It was apparent that she had been bitten by a snake.  We authorized the vet to administer anti inflammatory medication along with the necessary anti-venom.  The vet said once the drugs were administered all we could do was wait.

She stayed at the vet all day and night on Monday.  On Tuesday morning we had to pick her up because the emergency vet was not open during the day.  She still needed IV fluids and monitoring so we took her to our normal vet in Calimesa.  They told us that they were going to continue IV fluids and antibiotics, and if she was not ready to come home with us by that evening, we would have to transfer her back to the emergency vet for the night.

I called the vet to check on her around 2:30 on Tuesday afternoon.  The nurse was sitting with her watching her constantly.  They said she was resting comfortably.    At 3:30 we got the call that she had stopped breathing.  The doctor was with her when it happened.  They tried to revive her breathing, but her heart stopped soon after. 

When we heard those words, it felt like our own hearts had stopped.  We had been reading on the internet that only 5% of dogs die from rattlesnake bites.  We thought for sure that she was going to pull through.

It turned out that she was bitten more than once.  Once on the top of her snout and once inside the mouth.  She tried to fight, but her injuries were just too bad.  I did go to the vet to see her and say goodbye. 

I have been having a really hard time with our loss.  Casey was never even supposed to be our dog.  She belonged to Stephen’s dad.  He went on an extended vacation out of the country a few years ago and we were supposed to watch her while he was gone.  In the short time we had her, it became apparent that she had to stay with us.  Her and Gwen had become best buddies.  They followed each other everywhere.

She really was the best dog.  She loved us all so much.  When the kids would cry, Casey would run to find me and make sure I heard them.  Seth was so in love with her too.  He would climb on her, hug her, kiss her, and even ride her like a pony.  You could always tell by the look in her eye that he was driving her crazy, but she would just sit there and let him have his fun.

I keep hoping that I am going to look out into the yard and see her sitting under her favorite oak tree.  I know it isn’t going to happen and that breaks my heart.  I know she is in a good place now, I just wish that place was my house.

We will be getting her ashes and spreading them under her favorite tree.  I am hoping that when that happens I will be able to make peace with the entire situation. 

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh God Ali, I'm so heartbroken for you guys. I am sobbing. I wish there were more that I could say or do to make this easier for your family. Know that you have my love and good thoughts that this grief passes and you are left with only warm, wonderful memories of an absolutely fantastic dog.

 

The Moore Family Blog © | Template By Rockaboo Designs © | 2012